Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission

Friday, December 19, 2014

I Got My Whole District Sick

Winter in Colorado Springs
















Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission 


As if things couldn't get any stranger! This week was really rough! I got sick on Tuesday and am still trying to recover. It's a head cold that just won't leave! On top of that everyone in our district got sick with the same thing! What are the odds? So in our ward, we have a sister that we've been helping prepare for her husbands return from deployment this week for Thanksgiving. She wanted to surprise him by finishing painting their garages before he gets home. The walls were basically drywall and tape so there was a lot of mudding, sanding, and painting to do. This weekend we spent 18 hours doing just that. After all that work we still have much to go! We've completed 1 garage and are halfway done with the other two and he comes home Wednesday! We're hoping to finish it in time for them so we'll probably put in another long day on Tuesday to hopefully get it done. Luckily, she's an amazing cook and makes fantastic lunches for us while we are there. It definitely makes the experience worth it!  

So I have a crazy story for you! On Friday night we had Elder Twitchell and Walton staying at our apartment for the night because Elder Twitchell was going to the temple on Saturday. We were going to be in a tri-panionship while he was gone. So we're sitting in our living room with the blinds closed but the sliding door open since it was pretty warm inside and we heard some angry voices outside. An Elder jokingly said "Someones going to get shot", immediately after which, we heard a really loud "BANG!" which sounded just like a gunshot. We all froze, and Twitchell looked out through the blinds and yelled, "Oh my gosh! A car just exploded!" We looked outside and saw a car in our parking lot (50 feet away) with flames bursting out of it, at least 5 feet high. We were in shock and didn't know what to do! It was parked right under a huge tree and I was worried the tree was going to catch on fire. I went straight for the phone and dialed 911. The Operator seemed confused when I told her about the incident, but the fire truck showed up within 2 minutes. Most of the fire was gone before they got there and there were lots of people watching. Luckily, no one was in the car. I have no idea what really happened but the cops were there until 1 in the morning. While I was on the phone with 911, our mission president called the other Elders phone, and asked how we were doing? Twitchell responded with, "Elder Gillingwaters calling 911, a car just burst into flames outside". Our Mission President then said, "Sounds like you guys are having a really exciting night!" He was calling because Elder Twitchell is going to be training a new missionary next transfer, it just happened to be at the perfect moment. I thought it was really funny how he responded.  
I am at 4 1/2 months already. It's going by really fast, and I hope the next 18 1/2 are just as awesome!  I love you all so much! Have a great week and I'll talk to you soon!  

5 things that made me smile:  
1. I made Brazilian Lemonade for district meeting and it was super good! But we all drank too much and felt sick afterwards!  
2. Our phone call with the Mission President on Friday.  
3. I got to drive a car for the first time in 4 1/2 months, I was so excited to not have to walk for a few hours! (Sadly, I had to give the car back in the end)  
4. I got acupuncture this week! I sprained my right wrist last week (not the same wrist I sprained 2 months ago) and a member in our ward was trying to see if he could help relieve some of the pain. It still hurts...  
5. Our dinner cancelled Sunday so a really cool member from the YSA ward made us White Chili. It's so good! I'm getting his recipe! It was a really fun evening!  

  God is Great!  

Elder Gillingwater  

No comments:

Post a Comment