Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission

Friday, December 19, 2014

5 Lessons in 2 Days before being Deployed

Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission

Hey everyone! It's so good to be able to write to you again! I swear the weather here is bipolar! It got up to 70 degrees this week and then it snowed this morning. It's ridiculous!

Hiking at Garden of the Gods
So this week we had a really cool teaching experience. On Wednesday morning we were getting ready for the day with only a few things planned and wondering how we were going to fill up the rest of our time. We got a phone call from a member in the ward. She told us that she had a friend and her boyfriend visiting in town for the holiday and they were interested in hearing the lessons from us! She wanted to know if we could come over in an hour. We excitedly agreed! Her friend is a member of the church, but her boyfriend is not. They both were being deployed the following week and the country they were going to does not have missionaries, and only has a small branch of a few members. They had been reading the Book of Mormon together and he wanted to know more! We taught him about the Restoration, and he just started bawling. He knew the Book of Mormon was true and how much it had been affecting his life since he had started reading it. After we finished the lesson we invited him to be baptized which he enthusiastically agreed to. After that, he asked, "I have another hour or so, can we start another lesson?" Because he was leaving, he wanted to have all the lessons completed before he left, so we then proceeded to teach all 5 lessons to him over the course of 2 days! Talk about a marathon! One appointment took 5.5 hours! But we got it done and he's so excited! It was a great way to spend our Thanksgiving week!

Elder Mogle fits in a dryer
I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We had a fantastic dinner and everyone in the ward felt the need to give us pies! We have so many untouched pies in our fridge its crazy! At least most of them are pumpkin! (my favorite!) They asked me to speak on Sunday for a few minutes to help fill up time and I got to share my testimony of how the Spirit has really been a strength to me so far on my mission. It's powerful to see it work in the lives of others. I am so grateful for it!

So this week is the start of the Christmas transfer and with that comes a few changes. I'm staying in the Academy Ward again! So by the end of this transfer I will have been there for 6 months (my entire mission) hahaha. I'm guessing I'll probably leave after that, hopefully to an area that has a car. Sister Mangisi is headed home now that she's finished her 18 months, and Elder Walton is going home for shoulder surgery. I'm going to miss both of them! Elder Twitchell is getting his brand new, just out of the MTC, companion tomorrow! I hope he's really cool! I love and miss all of you so much! I'm grateful for another the fantastic week and hope I have many more to come. I'll check in with you next week!


God is Great!


Elder Gillingwater 

No comments:

Post a Comment