Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Awesome Week, Got to Visit Fort Carson!

Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission

 

 

Self Explanitory
This week has been so great!  The members in the Cheyenne Mountain Young Single Adult ward are fantastic!  They like to work hard, and they like to have fun!  I'm really glad I get to serve here.  I got to go onto an Army base this week!  The base was Fort Carson on the south side of Colorado Springs.  They took our Drivers Licenses and car registration, and did a search through our car.  We passed the inspection point and headed into the base.  It's almost like a miniature city in there which I wasn't expecting at all!  It had nice homes, schools, a mall, and lots of really courteous people.  I guess I just pictured something more along the lines of old rusty Barracks, giant metal domes filled with tanks, people running in formations all over.  It was really cool!  I've got a few pictures of the base.  Hopefully I will get to go again soon, or visit one of the other bases in town or the Air Force Academy.  
The Dormitories
I'll be sure to take lots of pictures if I do.

A recent convert in our ward who was baptized last month is one of the most solid members in the ward.  He jumped right in to having a calling and took over and set up the YSA activity last week.  It was a chili cook off and was a huge success!  Few people show up to the activities but He had almost 50 people there who stayed the whole time.  We had a great time being with him and being able to eat lots of chili!

We had a baptism this week!  He is a really solid guy who really believes in the Atonement of Jesus Christ and has a really strong testimony.  He's only 19 but looks like he's 25.  He gets deployed to Kuwait this month and wanted to make sure he could get the Priesthood before he left.  He was baptized on Saturday and the service got a little hectic.  The member who was supposed to baptize him was running late and wasn't going to be able to make it in time so my companion jumped into a jumpsuit to baptize him.  When He baptized him, he accidentally hit his head on one of the steps but they laughed about it afterwards.  When he got confirmed in church the next day he brought friends with him and introduced them to us and then he bore his testimony since it was fast Sunday.  It was really cool!

My New Companion Elder Low
Overall this week was awesome!  We had lots to do and we ended the week on a high note.  I really hope this progress continues!  We found out on Sunday that a potential investigator in our ward wants to start taking the lessons so we might have another baptism coming up soon!  The Lord's work never ceases!  I hope you all are having a wonderful time back home.  In 14 days I will have been on my mission for 7 months.  I'm excited for what the future has in store for me!  Have an awesome week and I will talk to all of you soon!

5 Things That Made Me Smile:

1. When our convert his is head on the steps in the font because of my companion, Apparently, baptism doesn't just wipe your sins away, but also your memory.

2. I met someone who served in the California, Roseville Mission (back in 2007) this week.  He never served in Chico (served in Paradise), but said all the missionaries dreaded being sent to Oroville.  I thought that was funny.

3. Testimony meeting on Sunday was wonderful!  You could really feel the Spirit in that meeting!

4. We taught the sister missionaries how to use a lighter to make a fireball in your hand and they're obsessed with doing it now.

5. A quote from a dinner appointment this week, "I took one morphine pill and because I wasn't thinking clearly, in 20 minutes I took 3 more" which I guess you don't want to take more than one every 8 hours.  But she's ok now.

God is Great!

Elder Kyle Gillingwater

No comments:

Post a Comment