Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission

Saturday, February 28, 2015

It Snowed So Much They Cancelled Church In Colorado Springs! Week #29

Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission



Colorado Springs Major Snow Storm
This week was ridiculous to say the least!  So many things were happening right after one another.  This week marked the day I lost my driver’s license, the storm of the decade, transfer calls, and getting sick again for the umpteenth time!  Here's where it all began.

On Tuesday night, we drove onto Fort Carson to meet with a returning less active member to discuss his goals of where he would like to be in the next 6 months.  Some of those goals were reading scriptures, becoming temple worthy, and meeting with us weekly.  To help him with these goals we were going to go to institute with him the following night to talk to him some more and help him feel comfortable being there.  Wednesday night rolled around and as we got to the gates at Fort Carson we were stopped as usual to have an inspection of the car and validation of our Drivers Licenses, Registration, and Insurance.  Surprisingly the MP (Military Police) noticed that our insurance card was almost a year expired!  She was ready to write us a ticket right then and there!  We were calling so many phone numbers to try and verify that we had current insurance but because it was so late in the evening, we were unsuccessful and being able to do that.  We got a hold of the senior couple in the mission who oversee all the vehicles missionaries drive who explained we had insurance but wasn't able to prove it at the time.  

 She let us go finally an hour later and we had completely missed Institute, and the person we were meeting had already gone home.  We were really bummed but knew we'd get a chance to see him again. It wasn't until Friday that we realized that the MP never gave us our driver’s licenses back!  We drove over back to Fort Carson as soon as we could and to our dismay we discovered that after 24 hours of being held onto, our driver’s licenses were being sent to the addresses on them.  So mine was on its way to California, and my companion’s was headed to Washington.  We had no idea what we were going to do!  We ended up having the Mission Office call our parents to inform them of the ordeal and to forward the cards back to us as soon as they got them.  But for now we have to do as little driving as possible and drive cautiously so we don't get pulled over!

***Editors Note***: After a week and a half, still no driver’s license in the mail from Fort Carson.  They will be getting a call on Monday from dad.

Sister Koval, Me, Elder Haskell, and Sister Kane
This week I also had the chance to go to the zoo with some other missionaries including my trainer Elder Haskell.  It was really great to see him again.  He's been a great motivator to help keep me focused and on track with my purpose as a missionary.  I really want to be a humble servant of the Lord and follow in His footsteps.  Someday, I'm going to look back and realize that I lost myself in the Work of Salvation and truly became of one heart and of one mind with my Heavenly Father.  I know I'll get there!  The zoo was great!  Don't worry dad, I didn't kiss any giraffes this time.


This weekend, the weather forecast was that we were going to get up to 16 inches of snow!  I was not excited in the slightest.  After a week of 70+ degrees I was looking forward to Spring.  It started to snow lightly on Friday but hit hard on Saturday.  It snowed so much that we had to have our Mission Vehicles parked, and they're still parked today!  It snowed so much this weekend that for the first time in a decade they cancelled church for the majority of Colorado Springs.  The only ward that was meeting was the Academy Ward (my previous area, that I still live in), which was at 9:00 am and they were only doing a Sacrament service.  All other wards in all 4 stakes that make up the city were completely cancelled.  My companion and I went to the Academy ward for Sacrament meeting and I got to visit with a lot of familiar faces!  It was great to see them all again and a lot of the young men were really excited to see me back!  It feels good to know that you can leave an impact on so many people in such short amount of time.
Treacherous Driving!

This week marked the end of the transfer and we were pretty much expecting a call from our Zone Leaders telling us that my companion would get transferred to a new area. Well, we got a call pretty early into the evening from our Mission President, who only calls to inform Missionaries if they are moving into leadership positions.  The call was for my companion Elder Low who is going to be a Zone Leader.  He was so excited!  That pretty much guaranteed that I was going to be staying in the YSA ward for at least another 6 weeks.  I'm very happy about that because this ward is great.  I am really nervous because we have such a large area to cover (3 Stakes) and I've only been there for 6 weeks.

My new companion is Elder Guerrette and he's going to be our new District Leader!  I'll get my new companion tomorrow and will tell you more about him next week!  Hopefully he doesn't snore like my current companion!  If I stay in this area for the next 3 transfers, I will have lived in the same apartment for half of my mission!  I think that's a first in this mission!  

To finish the week off, I got the flu again.  It's just a minor head cold but it makes this winter weather that much more miserable.  It's supposed to snow the majority of this week, but I hope the snow and my cold clear up soon.  Regardless of either, I'll be putting in my best effort to work hard and teach by the Spirit!  We had a training meeting about being a "consecrated" missionary and serving with one goal/purpose in mind.  I know if I devote all my time and energy into working hard, then these minor hardships I face won't affect my effectiveness!  I'm really enjoying myself and know I'm right where I'm supposed to be!

Well I hope you all have a great week and that where ever you are, I hope the weather is better than here! You're all in my prayers!  Take care, and I'll talk to you soon!

5 Things that Made Me Smile:

1. Had a great time seeing my Trainer Elder Haskell again.

2. Someone in my last ward sent me a pancake in the mail.  They coated it in Elmer's Glue so it was solid as a rock and wrote a letter on it. It's pretty cool!

3. Getting to see some of my favorite members from the Academy Ward was great!

4. The Mission Offices phone call to my dad, "Hi this is the mission office and we have a small problem.”  I hope he wasn't freaking out when she started the phone call like that!

5. Elder Buxton had his birthday yesterday so we threw a party for him Sunday night and it was great being able to see my old district before they all got transferred all over the place!

God is Great!

Elder Gillingwater
 

No comments:

Post a Comment