Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Work Doubled this Week - Week #33



Castle Rock
Well today marks 8 months on my mission! It seems like a really long time but when I think about it, it's just flown by!  Every time I hit a month mark it feels like I'm doing a countdown.  Not a countdown for when I come back home (I'm sure that's what you all are doing), but a countdown for when I get to go to the Temple again!  I get to go back in 4 months and I'm so excited.  That seems like a long time but 8 months has felt like nothing so I'm sure it will come sooner than I think.  In two months I get to Skype you all again for Mother's Day. Isn't that exciting?  We've got some good things to look forward to in the near future!

So this week has been great.  The amount of work we have been doing is doubling the work we were doing the week before.  We have more people we're visiting with, more service, and more dinner appointments.  I got some amazing news this week too.  I got to meet with the Investigator I was working with when I was serving in the Academy Ward who was going through legal issues.  He ended up being charged which halted his progress towards baptism and I wanted to see how he was doing.  When we met with him he told us how he was pretty bitter at first, but as he started reading scriptures and praying more he realized how grateful he was for this growing opportunity.  It occurred to him that he had an opportunity to learn so much more now and really focus on growing his testimony.  He accepted the fact that it was going to be another 2 years before he could be baptized but was still eager to take that step.  My companion and I were so happy to see that he had not given up.  We left that appointment feeling like he was headed in the right direction. Well, the next day we got a call from him.  The judge released him from his probation and he can get baptized!  He just needs an interview with our Mission President, which should go well because he already emails our mission president frequently.  I think they're on a first name basis.  I'm so excited for him.  He's really wanted this and has had a rough time trying to overcome those trials he's faced but a broken heart and a contrite spirit can really make a difference!

My companion and I are so similar it's crazy.  We're always on the same page and get along so well.  Even the young single adults in the ward have taken notice.  Usually when a companionship goes this well, our mission president shakes them up, so we really hope that doesn't happen.  I'd like to keep a companion for longer than 6 weeks if possible.  My companion is nervous that he'll be made a Zone Leader at the end of this transfer.  So keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.

Castle Rock Up Close
So today I'm in Castle Rock again.  The other Elders in our District had to come up here for a doctor’s appointment and since its P-Day we figured we'd ride up with them and spend the day up here.  Plus, we get to save on our miles for the month.  We're limited to how far we can drive in a month and whenever we can save on miles we do it.  So we'll probably play sports up here.  I love playing volleyball.  I found out I'm not terrible at it and play pretty decently so it's pretty fun!

We got a list from our Ward Council of people they want us to start visiting and we've been going down that list this week contacting them and trying to schedule times to meet with them.  We were only able to get in contact with one of them which was sad.  We met with him after church and got to know him a little better.  Hopefully we'll get to talk to the rest of those people!

Thank you all so much for being so supportive.  I love hearing from you all.  I love serving the Lord and know I'm right where I need to be.  Please send the Stephen's family my best wishes.  You're in my thoughts and prayers.  I love and miss you all so much.  Have a great week and I'll talk to you soon!

5 Things that made me Smile:

1. Hearing the great news about our investigator from my last area.

2. My companion had to take a sick day this week (vomiting) and so I got most of the apartment really clean during that time.  It's nice to live in a clean home!

3. I got a letter from Ashley Fogleman this week.  It's good to hear from a friend back home!

4. We had two dinner appointments this last week.  Both of them were with the same family in our bishopric.  They're amazing cooks so I'm glad they're willing to feed us!

5. The YSA is just so much fun.  The people are great and I love serving here.

God is Great!

Elder Gillingwater

No comments:

Post a Comment