Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission

Monday, January 12, 2015

Happy New Year!

Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission

My District
This last week was fantastic!  I had so much fun preparing for the Christmas!  We got to go caroling at a retirement home and they were so excited to see us there and enjoy the Christmas Spirit that comes with singing.  I also got to spend Christmas Eve with my district having a Christmas party.  We had a Secret Santa gift exchange.  I had drawn our district leader as the one I'd buy a gift for.  I thought long and hard to figure out what he might want and ended up giving him the best gift of all; a $5 Starbucks gift card.  They have awesome hot chocolate and we frequent there.  Sister Harrop in our district had me for a Secret Santa and I got a bag full of all the stuff she had that she didn't want anymore (since she goes home in 6 weeks).  There was a lot of hair products, cologne, drawing supplies, playing cards, and candy.  It was the perfect gift!  We stayed the night at the District Leader's apartment Christmas Eve and opened our gifts together Christmas morning.  It was so fun, and reminded me of Christmas morning at home.  We spent Christmas day at the Carter's (a family in our ward) where each of us received a 5 lbs. Hershey Bar!  I don't even want to open it because it's too daunting!  It's larger than a Laptop and is over 11,000 calories.  We spent the day playing pool, ping pong, and we all got to Skype our families.  It was so great to hear from you all and see your faces!  I was really excited to hear from you all and was glad so many of you were able to be there!  Overall the week was great, but we didn't have too many opportunities to visit with people in our area.  Most of the Ward was gone for the holidays and our investigators had scattered. I really hope this next week will be a lot more productive!

That is a lot of chocolate!
Well this week was definitely an improvement from last week as far as missionary work goes.  We got a new investigator!  He's a senior in high school and is dating one of the young women in our ward.  We taught him this week and brought one of the Priests in our ward with us!  That's a first since I've been here!  Our investigator has no background in religion and his first time to go to any Church.  He seems really cool though and has a lot of goals he wants to accomplish in life.  He's definitely headed in the right direction! One of our other investigators that we had a little while back that had stopped talking to us and wasn't interested anymore started coming to church again!  He's come 2 weeks in a row and we're really excited to hopefully pick up where we left off!  Sadly, one of our progressing investigators is now in Prison.  He finally had his appearance in court and it didn't go well.  We don't know how long his sentence is but we hope he still had a positive experience with the church, and might continue working with missionaries later.  We had a good New Years Eve with the Olson's (a family in our ward) who fed us tons of food and we played apples to apples with their kids.  I've made a New Years resolution to start exercising everyday (excluding Sundays) and so far I'm right on track!  This week I did something I thought I'd never do.  I let one of the sister missionaries in our district cut my hair.  
Rate my haircut!
She's never been to Beauty School and had only cut hair 3 times before then.  I'm sending pictures so you can let me know what you think!?  I think it looks fine!  Especially because it was free!  It got really cold this week, the high temperature for last Tuesday was 4 degrees, and with wind chill it got as low as -30 degrees!  Yikes!  I stayed inside when I could!  It's supposed to get a little warmer this week but it never quite feels "warm" here anymore.  This is the last week of the transfer.  I will have officially been in my area for 6 months!  My guess is that I'm going to be transferred to a new area, but you never know!  I will find out on Saturday if I'm leaving and on Monday I learn where and with whom I will be serving with!  I will keep you updated!  I'm not looking forward to packing all of my stuff!  Hopefully my next area has a car!
The other side!

I love you all so much and thank you for all the support and kind words you bring.  The Holiday season is a weird one to spend away from home, but I am having a wonderful time here serving the Lord!  Please keep me in your prayers and I'll do the same for you!  Have a great week and I will talk to you soon!

5 things that made me smile:

1. My haircut, watching the process was excruciating!  It looked terrible partway through the cut but it came out really good!

2. Elder Mogle got hit in the face with a Cue ball when we were playing pool and he was worried he broke one of his teeth, but he'sfine.
Having Fun.  To cold to go outside!

3. When we asked the Priests if one of them wanted to come with us, most of them made excuses to get out of teaching, but one was so excited to come with us and really participated in our lesson.  It was perfect and he's so excited to go on a mission and come out with us again!

4. Sister Harrop in our district can't swallow pills very easily.  It usually takes until the pill dissolves on her tongue for her to get it down.  She was trying to take a pill in the hallway of our apartment complex and almost choked and smashed her head on the corner of a fire extinguisher box and split her head open.  She was rolling on the ground laughing, same as we were (She's fine, I promise).

5. Elder Buxton bought a sling shot last week and wants to spend a P-day going hunting for squirrels and to cook one up.  I think we're doing that today so I will let you know if we get anything!

God is Great!

Elder Gillingwater
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment