Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission

Sunday, January 18, 2015

My First transfer

Hello from the Colorado, Colorado Springs Mission

 

 

Me!
Hey everyone!  This week has been a real roller coaster!  It all started Monday when I went to the park with my district for P-Day.  It had snowed the day before so we got to have a pretty good snowball fight.  We hiked up some trails in Ute Valley Park in our area.  Elder Buxton has a sling shot that he wants to use to kill a squirrel or rabbit so he can eat it.  He took it with him but there were no woodland critters in sight.  I don't know if he would have wanted to carry that around for a while anyways.

This week we started teaching our new investigator about the Plan of Salvation.  He seemed to really grasp and understand it.  We invited him to be baptized but he wasn't sure if he wanted to get that far into it yet.  Our plan was to just keep meeting with him and help him realize and look forward to participating in those Sacred Saving Ordinances.  We found out that our investigator who went to prison is out on probation which is good!  He will be on probation for the next 2 years though which means we won't be able to baptize him until afterwards.  It's a bummer but he seems really happy now that his court issues are over and he can start working again.  We were teaching a family in our ward this week after our dinner appointment and had so much fun talking to their kids about the Restoration of the Church.  They really enjoyed it and were happy that we met with them.  Their kids were hilarious and crazy!

Elder Buxton Hunting Squirrels

As this week drew to a close, I was afraid about getting a transfer call on Saturday night.  Since it was the end of the transfer, and I had been in this ward for 6 months, I assumed I would be leaving.  I was really not looking forward to packing but my companion said he would help me out.  Well Saturday night came and we got the phone call...BOTH of us were being transferred!  We were shocked!  They decided to close our area which is really disappointing.  All of the people we were working with weren't going to have Elders visiting them anymore.  The sister missionaries that cover our ward and the neighboring ward now cover our ward full time.

District Photo
When we came to church on Sunday, the ward was devastated!  They all wanted to call and complain to our mission president, but there's not a lot we can do about it.  We have 1 new elder coming in this week and 14 going home.  With numbers like that, they have to close a few areas.  We're just wondering what's going to happen after the next 3 months when over 40 missionaries go home and 10-20 come in.  We got to say goodbye to most of the ward and I got some pictures with some families.  It's going to be hard leaving the only area I've served in for the last 6 months.

Now on to the important news... My new area is going to be the Cheyenne Mountain YSA Ward!  It covers 3 stakes (North, East, & Fountain) all of which are in Colorado Springs since there's lots of stakes here.  And I get a car!!!!  The YSA wards here are really fun and everyone always wants to serve in them so I'm excited for the opportunity.  My companion's name is Elder Low, and I don't know anything about him other than he was in the MTC with Elder Haskell (my trainer).  I've heard he's cool.  So I have a lot of packing to do!  My companion can't help either because now he's packing!  It's chaos in our apartment!  My current companion, Elder Mogle, is going Spanish speaking down in the San Luis Valley which is crazy but exciting.  I'm really nervous but I am thinking positive!  I will let you know how my first week goes in the new ward!  I love you all so much and hope you're having a wonderful week!  Let me know if I can do anything for you and I love hearing from you all!  Have a great week and I will talk to you soon!

5 Things that Made me Smile:

1. One of the daughters we met when we taught that family in our ward when asked "What's something that Jesus Christ has done for you?" responded with, "He drowned for us".

2. When we didn't have a dinner this week, Micah from the YSA Ward filled in and made us homemade Taquitos, salsa, and guacamole.  It was sooooo good!

3. We met a less active member at a Steak N' Shake for lunch and had a blast visiting with her and getting to know her.  She seems really cool!

4. (Picture Included) Brandon Carter's socks...
The Carter Family

5. Evan Carter spoke on Sunday about humility and couldn't get started on writing his talk so I gave him a lot of help and advice which he used and shared in his talk.  It went really well!

God is Great!

Elder Gillingwater

No comments:

Post a Comment